Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Update

Well, I can't go to the Quaker service after all on Sunday because Famous Footwear has a meeting (mandatory) Sunday morning. Bummer. Guess I'll have to wait till next month, since the Quakers only meet once a month (not a bad deal, huh?).

I'm having dinner with the rabbi tonight. My main question will be about how literally one is supposed to take the Bible, since I don't take it literally at all. I find meaning in it but through interpretation, not through belief in every single word as fact.

I heard back from the Bahais. They said they will get me hooked up with a study group. That would be cool. I liked the Bahai readings I have done in the past on my own. Though I don't share the founder's utopian message about one religion enveloping the world one day, and a time of peace and prosperity for the entire world. It's a nice vision, but nothing that will be seen anytime in MY lifetime, anyway...

As for Debtors Anonymous, I decided I don't need it. The same witch who had cut me off midsentence while I was "sharing" on Thursday showed up at a different meeting I tried to go to on Sunday, so I walked out. So, it seems I can't go to a meeting near me without her showing up. Besides, I already know everything DA teaches/preaches - don't use credit cards, don't buy lots of things you don't need, save money when possible, etc. Trust in a higher power. I've pretty much already gone through all their "12 steps" on my own without knowing it, like accepting I have a problem, trusting in a higher power, etc. The main one I need to work on, making amends to those you have "harmed," would entail me trying to pay back my mom for all she has given me over the years to help me out, and I intend to do that as soon as my financial situation allows. I am at least stabilized enough for a while for her to not have to send me any "bailout money," I think.

I've put a "shopping moratorium" on myself until at least June 24. That's when I'm flying to Maryland to visit a friend, and I figured we'd be going shopping at some point, and I wanted to be able to do so without feeling guilty. So - no clothes or shoes in the meantime. Save it for June. And then don't go wild, be reasonable with the purchasing. My friend will help keep me in check, I'm sure. She's very practical. And she lectures me about my shopping addiction, like my mom.

Anyway, I hope through my spiritual quest, it will direct me away from the desire to shop and give me something more important and valuable to think about and spend my time on.

No comments:

Post a Comment