Tuesday, June 8, 2010

More similar than different

I read about the Quakers last night, and they seemed very similar in their beliefs to the Baha'i faith and Judaism (and Unitarian Universalism), or at least not incompatible. They lack a creed, but believe in a personal connection with God (the "inner light") and the divine spark of life in every person. I don't see any reason why I couldn't identify myself with ALL of these religions - be a Jewish/Baha'i/Quaker/UU, and attend different services and study circles as I see fit. I like the Quakers' stance, similar to the UUs, regarding homosexuality - that it's absolutely to be accepted. Essentially, a lot of what the Quakers believe resonates with me (with the possible exception of "simplicity" - I love my material things, like clothes and shoes, too much to live "simply") - the pacifism, the belief in honesty at all times, the "inner light," the belief in protecting the environment, belief in connections with all living things, etc. I have found all four religions - Judaism, Baha'i, Quakerism, and UU'ism - to speak to me in their various ways, with very little to really disagree with. Other than the fact that I don't believe in the Bible absolutely literally but as a somewhat historical record that contains much that is symbolic. I don't know how my rabbi would feel about that. But I think the other three faiths would concur with my sentiments. Though some Quakers may take the Bible literally. Quakers vary in their beliefs, just like the UUs, since there is no creed; some don't even believe in God, but are still spiritual and feel a life force that permeates all living things.

Next I'll start reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Judaism." My rabbi had said that would be an okay book to start with when I ran it by him. So, that will give us something to talk about at our meeting Thursday. I'm looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to my second UU religious ed class tonight....

No comments:

Post a Comment