Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Detachment

I am reading some Baha'i writings, and they talk quite a bit about detachment - not being wrapped up in the material things of this world, that are temporary and ultimately meaningless. As I look about my bedroom, overrun by dirty clothes bags (even as my closet overflows with clean clothes), I realize how misplaced my value of clothes (and shoes, which have also taken over my apartment) has been. In an effort to fill an empty place inside, and/or motivated by manic frenzies in which I wanted every pretty thing to wear that I saw, I have amassed more clothes than 10 women could ever need in a lifetime. Or worse. I can't even find any of my jeans in my mountains of dirty clothes, so I can't do "casual week" at my workplace. Now, THAT is definitely a sign that I have way too many clothes!

I think I am ready, having fed my clothing appetite until I absolutely gorged myself, to rise above this petty attachment to material goods and detach myself from them. I can still enjoy wearing nice clothes, but I certainly won't buy anymore, and I won't be as vain about those I do have. Same thing with shoes - no new shoes, and less elevation of them to a show-off symbol. I can probably save a ton of money by curbing my shopping madness. I wonder how much better off I would be financially if I had reached the satisfaction/detachment level sooner.

One problem is, I like my clothes so much (I am good about only buying things I really like) that I can't find it in my heart to give them away, usually, and then I buy more, so I'm just always adding and adding and never getting rid of things I decide I don't want. But it is time to stop. Time to detach. I will probably never wear out any of the clothes I now have, since I have so many that I never wear any one thing too many times, with the exception of underwear. I am set for life. Same thing with shoes. So I can focus on other things. Deeper things. More meaningful things. Such as my spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment