Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bye bye rabbi

Well, I fired my rabbi. He was never availble at a time convenient for me. He would repeatedly tell me to call him at a certain time, then he would have an excuse why he wasn't available, and would promise to call back at another certain time, and he either never called back at all, or he would call much later than he had promised, often when I had already given up and gone to bed. So I e-mailed him that I don't think the partnership is working out, and requested a refund, though I don't know if he will give one. If he doesn't, then I guess my most valuable "lesson" learned in the whole deal is to never pay anything in advance where a service is concerned, because you never know what kind of "service" you are going to get!

I am not totally giving up on studying Judaism, however. I contacted another rabbi (a woman) who I had met at a Torah study group, and she answered some questions I had, and she urged me to continue my studies. So I will continue to read up on the religion, try to attend more sabbath services, and perhaps go back to trying to eat kosher (I succeeded for about a month, then sort of fell off the wagon).

Meanwhile, I'm continuing in my Baha'i study circle. I really enjoy it. Now I need to internalize the teachings, which are basically about being kind to others and praying regularly. I'm not always very kind, and it is hard to think about prayer in the daily rat race. I need to strive to overcome these weaknesses and be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment