Friday, May 28, 2010

Creating more harmony with Mom

I called my mom today to make sure she wasn't upset with me for telling her about my spiritual quest. She was in good spirits, and it wasn't even the first thing she talked about. Actually, I think I'm the one who brought it up. I learned her doubt about Judaism is that a German-descended Gentile like myself wouldn't be accepted by "real" Jews, especially considering the Holocaust. My mom is a product of World War II, born in 1931, so she still thinks old grudges persist. Maybe among some older Jews, but I doubt my background would be an issue for most. The rabbi I have talked to actually spoke positively of my roots in Germany, saying the chances are good I have some Jewish heritage somewhere along the line, and maybe it is coming out in me now. I know little about my German ancestors on my dad's side (I know more about the Bohemian-German Catholics on my mom's side, and some Lutherans from Prussia), so I suppose anything is possible. Anyway, the rabbi was very inviting and is having dinner with me Tuesday to discuss spiritual matters. And he even friended me on Facebook!

Another Jewish congregation I had contacted sent me a reply e-mail, inviting me to their next service Fri., June 11. I'd have to ask for that night off work... maybe I can trade with someone. The rabbi I'm having dinner with is about to depart for Israel for some months to study, so he'd be out of the picture, so it wouldn't hurt to also explore another congregation in the meantime. I also was encouraged to attend an upcoming Friday or Saturday Muslim "lecture," as the imam called it, but again, I work Friday and Saturday nights, so I'd have to ask for time off and/or switch days with someone. That's the thing about Jews and Muslims - their religious schedules conflict with my work schedule! Christians, I have all day free Sunday to explore. Too bad I've written most of them off, except the Quakers. I hope to visit the nearest Quaker meeting house on Sunday and see how I like their largely silent services. I wonder how long they are. And whether I can sit still long enough!!

Sunday I'll also try another DA group, BTW. Just throwing that out there because I do believe my spirituality is connected with my shopping addiction. If I can channel my energy into my religious quest, I'll have less idle time for shopping just to "kill time." I am proud of myself tonight for passing up a shopping temptation. I drove by Stein Mart, where I had (during an April manic shopping spree) bought some items and then returned them all, and I had the irrational feeling that I had let down the store somehow by returning all I had bought from them. So I was thinking of going shopping there to make amends. Then I realized what a ridiculous excuse for shopping that was, and how I don't need anything, etc. It was almost a spiritual triumph. Maybe it was - a triumph of the spirit over the ... whatever causes my shopping urges...

No comments:

Post a Comment